Financial Planning & Special Needs Trusts

ABLE Act – Frequently Asked Questions

The Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act enables eligible individuals with disabilities to save money in a tax-exempt account that may be used for qualified disability expenses while still keeping their eligibility for federal public benefits.

Link: ABLE Act – Frequently Asked Questions
Link: ABLE Available States Programs Chart

ABLE National Resource Center

Providing families with resources from disability organizations nationwide. Bringing together the investment, support and resources of the country’s largest and most influential national disability organizations.

Website: ABLE National Resource Center

Link: Delaware ABLE

Link: Michigan ABLE – Open to residence across Michigan and the country.

Link: ABLE -Review By State


Providing tax-advantaged ABLE savings accounts for individuals with disabilities. The ABLEnow program is administered by Virginia529, the country’s largest college savings plan.
Website: ABLEnow

Delaware CarePlan

Assisting parents and guardians ensure their family members with special needs can continue to lead a safe and meaningful life. DCP develops with families a personalized care plan and establishes a special needs trust without making him or her ineligible for crucial government benefits like Medicaid and SSI.
Website: Delaware CarePlan

Financial Literacy for Students with Disabilities

Resources and tips for students to develop the necessary financial life skills for living independently.
Link: Guide – Financial Literacy for Students with Disabilities

First Hand Foundation

Providing funding for individual children with health-related needs when insurance and other financial resources have been exhausted.
Website: First Hand Foundation

Guides for Managing Someone Else’s Money

Guides for people in four different fiduciary capacities: agents under a power of attorney, court-appointed guardians, trustees, and government fiduciaries (Social Security representative payees and VA fiduciaries).
Link: Guides for Managing Someone Else’s Money

Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund

Providing financial assistance for needs not covered by insurance, respite programs, non-cash items, and more to families living or seeking treatment in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware.
Website: Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund

Law Offices of Kevin O’Brien

Providing assistance with Special Needs Trusts and Division of Vocational Rehabilitation assessments.
LinkKevin OBrien Law – Special Needs Trust

Contact: Paul O’Brien, Attorney at Law, email:
Phone: Office = (302) 888-2707    Cell = (302) 559-4758
Fax: (302) 888-2708
Address: Greenville Center, C-204, Greenville, DE 19807

Special Needs Planning and Resources LLC

Special needs planning for your loved one with a disability.
Contact: Diann Jones, 226 Horseshoe Drive, Middletown DE – (302) 530-1234

Social Security Admin Program Operations Manual System (POMS)

POMS provides an introduction to Medicaid trust exceptions and information on how to create a trust that complies with Social Security and Medicaid rules.
Link: Social Security Program Operation Manual System

United Healthcare Children’s Foundation Grants

UHCCF grants provide financial help/assistance for families with children that have medical needs not covered or not fully covered by their commercial health insurance plan. The Foundation aims to fill the gap between what medical services/items a child needs and what their commercial health benefit plan will pay for.

Link: UHCCF Grants – for additional information and grant application.

Translate »