Let your voice be heard! Delaware agencies will hold public hearings in August to gather your input on state-wide regulations.
In June of 2012, Governor Markell signed Executive Order 36. This Order establishes a periodic review of all Delaware agency regulations that are three years or older. All State agencies are also required to gather public input on these regulations. Agencies will then review public feedback to determine whether or not a particular regulation may need to be modified or removed.
What Executive Order 36 means for you:
Executive Order 36 launches a public process to give everyone in the State of Delaware the opportunity to tell state agencies which regulations they believe are no longer working.
After the formal comment period, the agencies will consider all input received and determine whether particular regulations will need to be changed. All suggested changes will be reported to Governor Markell and the General Assembly in June 2013.
Two state agencies that affect our children have already established dates for public review and comments. Details regarding public hearings for the Department of Education and the Department of Services for Children, Youth, and Their Families are as follows:
Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) Public Hearings:
The DDOE public hearings are an opportunity for the State’s education community to come together with the single-minded goal of ensuring the success of our children. Per Secretary of Education, Mark Murphy – “Our goal is to remove burdensome barriers to ensure a singular focus on our state’s vision: college and career-readiness for every child.”
Hearings will be held in each county:
- Thursday, August 9 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the University of Delaware’s Carvel Research and Education Center, 16483 County Seat Highway, Georgetown.
- Thursday, August 16 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the Department of Agriculture office, 2320 South DuPont Highway, Dover.
- Thursday, August 23 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the New Castle County Government Center, 77 Reads Way, New Castle.
Public comment will continue to be accepted through October 1st. Comments can be submitted at one of the scheduled public hearings or online with the DDOE Comment Submission Form.
DE Department of Children, Youth & Their Families (DSCYF) Public Hearings:
Public Hearings of DSCYF regulations will also be ongoing in the same timeframe, and will also be held in each county:
- Tuesday, August 7 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the University of Delaware’s Carvel Research and Education Center, 16483 County Seat Highway, Georgetown.
- Tuesday, August 14 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the Department of Agriculture office, 2320 South DuPont Highway, Dover.
- Tuesday, August 21 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the New Castle County Government Center, 77 Reads Way, New Castle.
Public comment will continue to be accepted through October 1st. Comments can be submitted at one of the scheduled hearings or online with the DSCYS Comment Submission Form. The completed form can be mailed to Joseph Smack, DSCYF, 1825 Faulkland Road, Wilmington DE 19805, or submitted via email.
Do you have specific ideas about which regulations should be modified or eliminated? Speak up! The State of Delaware wants to hear you.
Read Executive Order Launches Regulatory Review and Reform to learn more about Executive Order 36. For the Order itself and the current schedule of agency public hearings, visit the State of Delaware website.